Monday, October 14, 2013

Strawberry Milkshake

Deciding on Dr. Robert Anderson to do my surgery was a "no brainer", he is considered to be the Dr. James Andrews of foot and ankle, or at least that is how I like to describe him. But with any surgery there comes some type of uncertainty about complications and my ability to return to a level of play I have become accustomed to over the years. Will I have the same type of power, explosion, speed and strength??  Even though theses issues were a concern to my future, my immediate fear was my biggest problem, Death!

As an athlete I have fallen under that illusion that I am
Right before Surgery in Charlotte NC
invincible and have secretly thought certain things just do not apply to my life. And maybe that is why I have never second guessed blowing up a 700 pound wedge or laying big hits on Special Teams.  But the idea of dying is a sobering thought to my humanity and the limits of my body. Luckily, I have been blessed to have great ownership throughout my career in times of turbulence.  Mr. Bidwill and the Cardinals organization arranged for my wife to come out and support me leading up to the surgery and during that week of recovery. I am the type of guy to not ask for help so I am not a burden to anyone, even my wife, but I must admit it was nice to be served and supported by her.  Most of the time I take for granted what she able to for me, especially from a spiritual perspective and the calming effect she has on me to face things I am fearful of.

So we finally make it to Dr. Anderson's office for the consultation for the procedure.  Really cool guy and breaks the mold of your the stereotype doctor who talks at you and over your head.  Instead, he explained the process in a way my wife and I could understand which reassured and relaxed me. Finally, it was time to prep for surgery and receive the anesthetic.  Hands down this is the best part of whole ordeal; feeling so good and happy right before you fall asleep...LOL! After waking up from surgery it never fails that I am starving and always have a craving. Of course my wife had gotten the food we talked about earlier but I can never predict what I am going to want.

After surgery with Graham and my milkshake
Strawberry milkshake is the first thing I asked for but it was late and she did not have a car.  Fortunately, I had several friends who play for the Carolina Panthers. First person I called was my boy Graham Gano. I had played with Graham when we both were in Washington. I figured I made enough tackles inside the 20 yard line for him and he owed me one. Of course, he said yes but not because of the tackles. One thing I have come to appreciate in the NFL is the relationship I have built over the years with guys which extends past the locker room.  Men like Kedric Golston & Chris Wilson who my kids call uncle, and London Fletcher who has mentored me and become like an older brother.  Theses are just some of the relationships formed and have become my family and support where ever I am.  And I was glad Graham was one of those guys because that milkshake kicked off a week of comfort food!

No comments:

Post a Comment